Yes every ageless beauty needs salt, but not just any salt, Real Salt.
Salt has gotten a bad rap, and as you read on, you will see, processed salt aka, table salt which is also found in processed food deserves the bad rap. But as always, there is more to the story. Real Salt is a beautiful thing, but before we get to that here is a little history on salt.
- Before there was refrigeration, foods were preserved and cured in salt.
- Sal is latin for Salt, which is where the word salad came from.
- In Roman times sal-ad was traditionally meant to be vegetables and salt or a salty dressing.
- Even the word “salary” comes from the Latin “sal” because Roman soldiers were paid in salt.
- Salt was considered extremely valuable because without it you could not preserve food.
Throughout history salt has been used as a healing remedy. Read The Luxurious Detox.
The reason I decided to write about salt is that most people do not realize the dangers of table salt
First off, most table salt is stripped of trace minerals, then processed with anti caking agents and bleached (real salt is not white). It also can contain dextrose which is sugar and even aluminum which has been linked to Alzheimers disease. According to Dr. Mercola we have been mistakenly led to believe that excess salt is the main culprit of hypertension and heart disease. The real culprit is fructose found in refined carbohydrates, which increase water in the blood, thus increasing blood pressure. This is why you can avoid salt and still have high blood pressure. This is also why when you go on a low carb diet you lose weight so quickly. You are losing a lot of water weight.
I only use one salt. Real Salt. You can get it at Whole Foods, Sprouts or Amazon.
Real Salt is mined from an ancient sea bed in Utah 300 feet underground which means they are not contaminated with mercury and other toxic waste that are in our oceans today. Real Salt is unrefined, meaning it still contains all 60 of the trace minerals that are found in that salt deposit — including calcium, potassium, sulphur, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, copper, iodine and zinc. They never chemically treat, bleach or kiln dry their salt. Those trace minerals give Real Salt its distinctive speckled pink color and also work together to help your body absorb and use the salt.
Why is Real Salt good for the Ageless Beauty?
The negatively charged ions in real salt, especially when combined with water, support a host of hormonal, chemical and electrical processes in the body. The trace mineral concentration in real salt makes it especially supportive of nerve and heart health. (Scary, since cardiac patients are often told to reduce sodium). Some doctors have even had success in improving irregular heart beat and lessening neurological disorders with proper doses of real salt.
Some other health-related processes that real salt can support are:
• Food Absorption: Proper mineral balance in food and water (from salt/trace minerals) helps the body absorb and assimilate food and water better.
• Cell Cleansing: The negatively charged ions in real salt and the trace mineral concentration let it cross into cells and pull toxins from them.
• Blood Pressure: Real salt actually helps regulate blood pressure (not raise it) when taken in the correct amounts.
• Heart Health: The negative ions in real salt help stabilize an irregular heart beat and support electro-chemical reactions in the body.
• pH Balance: The alkalizing effects of real salt help balance the body’s pH.
• Blood Sugar: Proper mineral balance from real salt helps increase insulin sensitivity and has even been shown helpful in patients with diabetes. (Note: It is especially helpful with type II diabetes, and while Type I diabetes cannot be reversed, it helps nutrient assimilation and other health factors in patients with Type I diabetes as well)
• Allergies: Some evidence shows that real salt dissolved in warm water is an effective natural antihistamine.
• Asthma and Sinus Trouble: Some patients experience asthma and sinus relief from taking salt internally and from using a salt inhaler. Salt can also be helpful in clearing up excess mucous and phlegm.
• Improved Sleep: Balancing the trace minerals in the body is supportive of hormone processes and can improve sleep quality and duration.
• Reproductive Health: By supporting natural hormone function, real salt is also supportive of natural fertility and can improve reproductive health in both men and women.
• Cellulite: There is some evidence that cellulite is lessened by proper intake of regular salt.
• Cell Communication: Its pH and ion concentration help improve chemical communication between cells
• Muscle Cramps/Tension: The trace minerals and pH in real salt help alleviate muscle cramps (magnesium is also important here). This is one reason that you often see athletes soak in salt water/epsom salt baths.
• Bone Health: Over 1/4 of the body’s salt is in the bones. When sodium and trace mineral stores are not high enough in the body, it can pull salt from the bones to keep the rest of the body functioning. This can be a tremendous factor in osteoporosis. (Magnesium is important here as well)
• Adrenal and Thyroid Health: The pH and trace minerals in salt are extremely important for proper adrenal and thyroid function. If you suffer from problems with either of these glands, increasing salt consumption can greatly help improve symptoms.
• Nerve Function: The electrical properties in real salt help support proper nerve function and communication throughout the body.
• Water Content of Body: Just as an IV must be in the proper electrolyte concentration to be absorbed, the trace mineral in real salt help the body naturally regulate the amount of water and trace minerals it needs.
• Sexual Health: The same hormone-supporting properties of salt make it supportive of healthy libido and sexual function
• Digestive Health: When consumed with water, real salt can help optimize the environment in the digestive system and increase stomach acid. This makes it helpful in dealing with digestive disorders, heartburn and other digestive problems.
• Various Health Conditions: Though not scientifically studied, there are cases of doctors helping or eliminating conditions in their patients with the use of real salt and water, including: arthritis, lyme disease, hypertension, neurological disorders, skin issues.
• Eczema and Psoriasis: The same helpful properties in real salt make it helpful both internally and externally for skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
• Oral Health: the trace minerals in salt can be helpful for oral health and for remineralizing teeth. Swishing with a salt water mixture daily can help improve oral health. Please note that this information is not meant to treat or cure. Always be sure to check with your health care professionals for any health issues.
FYI Real Salt does not have Iodine added. Iodine was added to table salt in the 20’s because so many people were deficient and getting goiters.
So how do you get Iodine in your diet?
Here are some ways:
- Kelp is the iodine superstar. (I put powdered kelp in my smoothies)
- Dulse flakes
- Organic Yogurt
- Organic Navy Beans
- Pasture Raised Eggs
- Organic Strawberries
- Organic Mozzarella Cheese
So remember salt is not the villian it has been made out to be, that is unless you are using the processed table salt that has had all the minerals stripped out. Real Salt, Sea Salt, Himalayan Salt and other unprocessed salts are a vital staple for health and beauty. I personally use Real Salt liberally in cooking and on my food. I even carry my own little bottle of Real Salt in my purse so that I can avoid the processed table salt that most restaurants offer.