I grew up eating this beauty food and I didn’t even know it was a beauty food.
Last week I received a beautiful thank you gift. Pecans from Claremore, Oklahoma.
I love pecans and was thrilled. I read through the information in the box and was shocked to find out that Pecans are richer in antioxidants than any other nut.
This makes Pecans a true beauty food, after all antioxidants reduce inflammation the number one cause of aging.
- Antioxidants including ellagic acid, vitamin A and vitamin E. These antioxidants fight and eliminate the free radicals which are responsible for causing premature skin aging.
- Rich in fiber which reduces risk of coronary heart disease and promotes colon health.
- Oleic Acid, a fatty acid which has been found to reduce risk of breast cancer.
- Magnesium which can lower blood pressure and has an anti inflammatory effect.
- Manganese, a powerful anti-oxidant that strengthens the immune system.
- Zinc and Vitamin A which helps maintain a clear complexion.
A Healthy Nut also produces a Healthy Oil.
Pecan Oil is even healthier than olive oil. It has lower saturated fat levels and has a higher smoke point than olive oil.
Get more pecans and pecan oil into your diet with these delicious recipes.
Parsley, Cilantro and Pecan Pesto
- 1/2 cup of toasted pecans
- 1 Cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Cup of packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6-7 tablespoons Pecan Oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
Combine the pecan pieces, parsley, cilantro and garlic in a food processor and puree. Add the cheese, salt and pepper, and pulse several times to blend. Scrape down the sides of the processor bowl. With the machine running, gradually add the pecan oil and blend well. Add the lemon or lime juice, and pulse once or twice to blend.
Add to pasta, or serve on crackers or red or yellow bell pepper slices.
Simple Vinaigrette made with Kinloch Plantation Pecan Oil
- 6 Tablespoons of Pecan Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice, red wine vinegar, or champagne vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl whisk all ingredients. Yields 1/2 cup.
- Variation: Add fresh or dried herbs of your choice, Dijon mustard, or fresh garlic.
A big thank you to the Legate family for such a lovely, delicious, anti aging gift.