I just had some tests run and was shocked to find out I am deficient in Iodine which is causing my thyroid to function at low levels.
This is known as Hypothyroidism.
According to Dr. Mercola, your thyroid hormones are used by every cell in the body to regulate your metabolism and body weight by controlling the burning of fat for energy and heat.
Iodine is key for thyroid health and is one of the three most common nutritional deficiencies along side magnesium and Vitamin D.
Yikes, I knew that there was an epidemic of Iodine Deficiency, but I thought for sure that with all the superfoods I consume I would not be affected by this dire situation. Yes it really is a dire situation and I want to urge everyone to go and get your levels checked.
What are the signs of Hypothyroidism due to iodine deficiency?
- Sluggish, Low Energy
- Difficulty Losing Weight
- Dry skin
- Hair Loss
- Cold Sensitivity
The only symptom I have on this list is an extreme sensitivity to cold. I am always the one who brings a coat everywhere I go, because I can’t bare to be cold. And I live in sunny Los Angeles.
Iodine has other very important functions.
- Stabilization of metabolism and weight
- Brain development in children
- Optimization of your immune system (idodine is a potent anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic, anti-viral and anti-cancer agent)
Iodine has disappeared from our food supply over the last 3 decades, mostly due a 50% decline in iodine in US soil as well as an erroneous experiment. The “Wolff-Chaikoff Effect” used intravenous radioactive iodine, which is toxic. This resulted in hypothyroidism, and created fear that there was too much iodine in our food supply. Intravenous radioactive iodine is completely different than iodine from food or supplements.
This prompted many food manufacturers to stop adding iodine to their food products.
Another issue contributing to Iodine Deficiency is exposure to toxic “halogens’. Iodine is considered a halogen, but when the body is exposed to toxic halogens bromide and fluoride, the action of iodine and thyroid hormones is blocked.
Bromides or Potassium Bromate is found in flour in the United States. Most every processed food, especially breads contains flour that has Potassium Bromate.
- In 1990 the United Kingdom banned bromate in bread.
- In 1994, Canada did the same.
- Other countries to ban it, Brazil and the entire European Union.
- The World Health Organization has banned bromides.
Here in the US bromides have not been banned and can be found in:
- Over the counter medications
- Commercial breads and baked goods
- Skin Care
- Personal care products
- Hair products such as permanent waves and hair dyes
- Fire retardants used in carpets, mattresses, upholstery, furniture and medical equipment.
America needs to wake up. My advice is check everything before you buy it, read labels, ask questions. Voting with your dollars is a powerful way to demand change.
Bromides and Fluroide get stuck in the body. This is one of many reasons it is crucial to gently detox every day.
- Far infrared saunas
- Epsom Salt Baths
- Drink water with fresh squeezed lemon juice
As Iodine levels have declined disease rates have skyrocketed.
- Iodine deficiency is believed to contribute to:
- Thyroid disease
- Breast Cancer
- Fibrocystic Breast Disease
- Prostate Cancer
- Mental retardation
- Developmental delays in American Children.
I urge everyone to go and get their iodine levels checked. Call your doctor or your natureopath.
Being deficient is dangerous, but getting too much iodine can wreak havoc on your health too.
You can also use an iodine supplement, but please check with your health provider to find the best product for you.
Iodine is indeed extremely important for optimal health and ageless beauty.